interventional pain physician
E. Joe Kent III, MD
Dr. Edward (Joe) Kent III is a fellowship trained interventional pain physician and board-certified anesthesiologist who specializes in minimally invasive treatments for chronic pain. His specific interests include the utilization of neuromodulation and regenerative medicine to improve pain and restore functionality, but more importantly, to get his patients back to doing what they love. He believes in a multidisciplinary approach to pain medicine, which includes exercise, diet, and maintaining an active, healthy lifestyle.
Dr. Kent grew up in Billings, Montana and earned a baseball scholarship to attend Oklahoma State University for his undergraduate studies. While completing his bachelor’s degree in biochemistry where he graduated magna cum laude, he competed on the diamond as a starting pitcher for the Cowboys; in 2007 he was a first-team Academic All-Big 12 selection and helped the team come within one game of going to the College World Series.
Dr. Kent received his medical degree from Oregon Health & Science University, where he earned the prestigious induction into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society for graduating at the top of his class. He completed his internship at Brown University in Rhode Island and his anesthesia training at Northwestern University in Chicago. Dr. Kent then returned to Oregon Health & Science University where he completed his fellowship in Multidisciplinary Pain Management.
He enjoys working with his patients to develop a plan to help them achieve their specific goals, whether that be playing with a grandchild, or running a marathon. He joined the team at Axis Spine Center because of their shared approach in treating the community in North Idaho and Eastern Washington.
- MD, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honors Medical Society
- BS, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK
- Magna cum laude
- Fellowship – Multidisciplinary Pain Medicine, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR
- Residency – Anesthesiology, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- Internship – Obstetrics and Gynecology, Brown University, Providence, RI
- American Board of Anesthesiology, Board Certified
- American Board of Anesthesiology-Pain Medicine
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- North American Neuromodulation Society
- Spine Intervention Society
- American Academy of Pain Medicine
- American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
Dr. Kent enjoys spending time with his wife, Sarah, and dog Rainier. He also enjoys skiing, CrossFit, camping, backpacking, and team sports.